On this day, the Virginia Tech community reflects on the vibrant lives of the 32 students and faculty who were tragically taken from us on April 16, 2007. This community run/walk throughout the campus of VT strives to bring fellow Hokies together, to feel the support of the community, and to celebrate the lives of our friends and family members.
For those participating on Sat., April 15, 2017, please read through the information below in order to best be prepared for the run.
We recommend parking in Perry Street parking lot and garage. (Parking Map) There will be signage to direct you towards the Drillfield and War Memorial Hall. There will be a “3.2 Run Registration” banner in front of War Memorial Hall.
Registration and Check In
Please bring your confirmation email that includes your QR CODE to check in (printed or electronically). If you did not receive a confirmation email, please check your SPAM folder. You can also request a new confirmation email by following this link. http://run.recsports.vt.edu/confirmations/new
- Check In Location: War Memorial Hall room 125 (Basketball Gym)
- Check In Times: Fri., April 14th between 4pm – 8pm | Sat., April 15th between 7:30am – 9:30am
You may check in a friend or family member if you have their QR CODE. We encourage you to check-in on Friday to help with crowd control Saturday morning.
T-shirts, Bibs, Bag drop, and Banner - at Check-In
- Sign the “3.2 for 32” banner at Registration/Check-In.
- Get your commemorative run bib available at Registration/Check-In. This bib will also be used if you wish to leave a bag at the bag drop on the Drillfield.
- For those who want to participate by running their 3.2 miles somewhere other than Blacksburg, you can download this year's bib.
- Pick up your commemorative event shirt. Any shirts that have not been picked up by 8:30 am on Saturday will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
An aerial photo will be taken on the Drillfield at 9:45 am. Wear your maroon event t-shirt or any other maroon Hokie shirt!
- The start line is on Drillfield Drive in front of War Memorial Hall. Please look for volunteers holding “Wave 1, 2, or 3” signs so you know where to go.
- There will be three waves that will start three minutes and 20 seconds apart. Wave 1 is for runners, Wave 2 is for joggers and fast walkers, and Wave 3 is for walkers and strollers. Line up in the wave that best fits you.
- A 10 am, volunteers will raise a “Moment of Silence" sign that will signal the release of a 32 white balloon arch. Please be on the lookout for when the Moment of Silence begins. After 32 seconds, the first maroon and orange balloon arch will be raised and Wave 1 will begin. After three minutes and 20 seconds, the second balloon arch will be raised and Wave 2 will begin. The same process will be repeated for Wave 3. That will be your only signal the event has started – there will not be any other prompt. Enjoy the run and the people around you!
Watch for volunteers in brightly colored vests along the route - they will direct you. Feel free to thank the volunteers along the way. There will also be a lead golf care for Wave 1 to follow.
- The route includes Lane Stadium by entering through the TUNNEL that the football team enters through for every home game. Since this does get narrow and slower, feel free to use the ALTERNATE route and bypass the stadium if you prefer
- Nearest restrooms to the start of the event are inside War Memorial Hall or there will be Port-a-johns located outside of War Memorial Hall on the plaza.
- Port-a-johns will also be located by both water stations.
- Water Station 1 – on Washington Street in front of the Smith Career Services Building
- Water Station 2 – in front of the 417 Clay Street building
Post-Run Community Picnic
After the run, enjoy a Community Picnic sponsored by Virginia Tech SGA on the Drillfield. Food and beverages will be provided.
- In the case of weather, the Community Picnic will be moved in Commonwealth Ballroom.
The event will take place rain or shine. In case of inclement weather, check www.vt.edu for announcements about all of the Day of Remembrance activities and updates.
For more information about the Day of Remembrance activities, please visit: http://www.weremember.vt.edu/
Thank you to everyone who came out to support Virginia Tech for the 2016 3.2 for 32 Remembrance Run/Walk. We had over 11,000 participants.