Bench Press Competition
University Bookstore 13th Annual Bench Press Competition
Saturday February 15th 2014
125 War Memorial Hall on Virginia Tech Campus
Schedule of Events:
- Friday February 14th, 4-7 pm- Early weigh-ins
- Saturday February 15th
- 7:30-8:30 am, day of registration
- 9:00 am, last weigh in conducted
- 9:45 am, Rules briefing
- 10:00 am, Competition begins
Cost of Event:
- $15- Current Virginia Tech Students, Faculty, Staff
- $25- All Other Participants
(Pre-Registration open until Thursday February 13th at 5pm)
Day of Registration:
- $20- Current Virginia Tech Students, Faculty, Staff
- $30- All Other Participants
*Add $10 to compete in second Division*
Walk Up Registration will be from 4-7 pm Friday February 14th and 7:30-8:30 am Saturday February 15th.
Awards will be given to top 3 lifters of each weight class. Overall winners of each division will be pulled from their individual weight class to receive a prize.
Weigh-In and Day Of Information
- Lifters competing in the Raw Division are NOT allowed to wear any assisting shirts.
- Lifters who are competing in 2 divisions are allowed 3 lifts. For example, the first lift may be raw and the following 2 lifts may be raw or open.
- Early weigh in begins Friday, February 14th from 4-7pm. Day-of weigh ins will be Saturday February 15th from 7:30-8:30am sharp. Due to flighting requirements, no one will be weighed in after 9:00am
- Rules briefing will begin at 9:45am. Competition begins at 10am.
- Weigh ins and Competition will be held in War Memorial Hall Gym 125.
- Shoulders and buttocks on bench,
- No bouncing or sinking of bar,
- Press command with pause,
- Wrist wraps allowed, No elbow wraps,
- One lifting shirt allowed (any ply),
- No baggy clothing
Parking, Lodging, and Spectators
- Parking: Visitors can park in most lots, please note that you should not park in handicap and service vehicle spots. Meters may be monitored so if you park in a metered spot, you may be ticketed (check the meter for instructions).
- Parking (Early Weigh In): Visitors are required to obtain a Visitor Parking Pass from parking services if arriving before 5pm.
- Spectators: Family, friends, and all spectators are welcome to attend the 2014 Bench Press Competition. Admission is free of charge
- Lodging: Holiday Inn University - 900 Prices Fork Rd, Blacksburg, VA 24060 - $71 per night. Please call 540-552-7001 to book a room with this reduced price.
Sample Training Programs
- 8 Week Beginner Program
- 8 Week Training Program
- 10 Week Training Program
2014 ResultsWomen's Open - Kat Cody122lbs and below - 1st: Tanya Halliday122lbs to 140lbs - 1st: Rebekah Brook140lbs and above - 1st: Kailey Baker; 2nd: Brook WarrenMens' Raw - Cliff Rhodes165lbs and below - 1st: Richard Jones; 2nd: Chris Kang; 3rd: Calvin Barrow165lbs to 198lbs - 1st: Tim Lewis; 2nd: Paul Shelton; 3rd: Andy Stack198lbs and above - 1st: Brandon McClaugherty; 2nd: Jan-Michael Cox;Men's Open - Armando Mineiro148lbs and below - 1st: Richard Jones; 2nd: Chris Kang; 3rd: Robert Stevenson148lbs to 165lbs - 1st: Lucas Pribble; 2nd: Phillip Grambo165lbs to 181lbs - 1st: Paul Shelton; 2nd: Tyler Church; 3rd: Douglas Hearney181lbs to 198lbs - 1st: Jason Buzzard; 2nd: Al-Titus Glover;198lbs to 220lbs - 1st: Cliff Rhodes; 2nd: Kevin Hamm; 3rd: Mackie Waller220lbs and above - 1st: Jonathan Woods;