Small Group Training
Try any format for FREE March 14-20! Here's the schedule!
What is Small Group Training?
Small group training is as a hybrid between personal training and group exercise. The workout is led by a coach, the group members motivate each other, and the coach gives attention to each participant in the group during every workout session.
How often does a small group meet?
Groups meet twice each week during the 6 week session. The days and times vary depending on the format and class time chosen during registration.
When do the 6-week sessions begin and end?
Spring Session I begins January 25 and ends March 4. Registration is now open!
Spring Session II begins March 21 and ends May 1.
How many people are in a small group?
A small group session must have 3 people, but caps at 12 people. Groups are kept small to guarantee interaction between the coach and each participant. All small group training sessions are open to faculty/staff and students, regardless of McComas membership.
How much does small group training cost?
$100 for a 6-week session (with 2 workouts a week). This is a competitively low-rate, equal to $8.33 per workout.
Can I try a format for free?
Twice a semester, we offer a free week of the Small Group Training formats. The Free Week is happening NOW, March 14-20! Here's the schedule. Check the Rec Sports Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates about when these classes are!
Why should I sign up for small group training?
Small group training is a great way to commit to improving your fitness. For six weeks, your group will meet with your coach to workout twice a week. In addition, you will discuss goals, take fitness tests to measure progress, improve technique and skill, and more. SGT also creates friendships, encourages teamwork, increases motivation, holds you accountable, allows you to ask questions and get answers, and makes reaching your goals fun!
What SGT fitness formats are offered?
Athletic Conditioning, Insanity®, Les Mills GRIT™ Series, TRX®, and X-Fit. See descriptions below.
Watch our video about Athletic Conditioning here!
Athletic Conditioning begins with the fundamental resistance movements (bench press, deadlift, squat), important flexibility and mobility drills, and high-intensity conditioning. All aspects of the program are designed to increase explosive performance and athletic ability. Using a combination of techniques from the most commonly-played sports, your coach takes you through drills to bolster reaction time, efficient movement, and kinesthesia. AC is fast-paced and progress will be made quickly. This class is an intermediate to advanced course.
In Spring 2016 Session I, Athletic Conditioning is offered:
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 5:30pm with Ethan R. in War Strength and Conditioning Room
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 4:00pm with Mark S. in War Strength and Conditioning Room
- *3-day-a-week option: pick one of the above sessions that works for you, then choose a 3rd day of Athletic Conditioning! ($150)
Insanity® Live is a revolutionary cardio-based, total-body conditioning workout, based on the principles of MAX Interval Training. This thrilling workout provides the support and group motivation to challenge you to to work toward your highest potential and unleash your inner athlete!
In Spring 2016 Session I, Insanity® is offered:
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 12:30pm with Alana in McComas Studio B
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 4:15pm with Mariana in War Multi A
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 4:30pm with Taylor in McComas Studio B
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9:10pm with Morgan in McComas Studio A
Les Mills GRIT™ Series
Watch our video about GRIT™ here!
Get the benefits from an hour-long workout in half the time! GRIT offers 30-minute high intensity interval training workouts that alternate between Strength (weight-based workout designed to build lean muscle and improve strength), Plyo (plyometric-based workouts designed to make you perform like an athlete), and Cardio (improves cardiovascular fitness, increases speed, and maximizes calorie burn).
In Spring 2016 Session I, the Les Mills GRIT™ Series is offered:
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 9am with Anna T. in McComas Studio A
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 11:15am with Brittanie H. in McComas Studio B
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 4:30pm with Jess T. in McComas Studio B
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7:30am with Aubrey S. in McComas Studio A
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 12:30pm with Anna R. in McComas Studio A
- Fridays at 9am & Sundays at 7:30pm with Paige M. in McComas Studio A
- *3-day-a-week option: pick one of the above sessions that works for you, then choose a 3rd day of GRIT™! ($150)
Watch our video about TRX here!
TRX® is a unique suspension-based resistance program that improves strength, balance, flexibility, coordination, endurance, and joint stability. Developed by a Navy Seal, participants use their own bodyweight to transform their body. The hands and feet are used as anchor points to practice many versatile exercises that are challenging and accomodate all fitness levels and performance goals.
In Spring 2016 Session I, TRX® is offered:
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 12:30pm with Jess T. in War Strength and Conditioning Room
X-Fit with a CrossFit Coach
Watch our video about X-Fit here!
X-Fit is a 60-minute workout led by a CrossFit certified coach. This workout is designed to challenge participants mentally and physically by constantly changing the workouts. These workouts consist of high intensity, functional movements that incorporate aerobic exercise, gymnastics, bodyweight exercises, and weight lifting to help participants get fit! Be prepared to get stronger and faster.
In Spring 2016 Session I, X-Fit is offered:
- Mondays & Wednesdays at 7:15pm with Tyrone T. in War Strength and Conditioning Room
- Tuesdays & Thursdays at 6:45pm with Nick C. in War Strength and Conditioning Room
If none of the above small group programs are what you are looking for, you can request a small group training program that fits your schedule and is tailored to your groups needs and fitness goals. To request a private small group training program, you must have at least 3 people to your group and you can fill out the request form below. Once we have received your request, you will be contacted with more information about how to register. Please email Krista Gwilliam, Fitness Coordinator, at email@example.com with any questions.