What is Healthy Paths?
Healthy Paths is a multidisciplinary team designed to help VT students with eating issues and body image issues. The team provides high-quality, coordinated services to assist in the recovery process.
How to enroll yourself or refer someone else?
Your first contact with Healthy Paths can be made by scheduling an appointment with the Case Manager at the Schiffert Health Center, or by visiting the Cook Counseling Center to complete your intake form and visit with a counselor. Both of these departments are located in McComas Hall. If you would like to refer a student to be contacted by the Healthy Paths group, please complete this referral form.
How much exercise is too much?
Repeatedly exercising beyond what is considered safe is associated with dehydration, stress fractures, amenorrhea, thyroid suppression, and heart problems. The American College of Sports Medicine, as well as the US Centers for Disease Control, recommend “30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most, preferably all, days per week.” Vigorously exercising for more than one hour per day, on most days per week, may be healthy for the average person, but it can be considered compulsive if the following occur:
- Rigid adherence to the routine along with disordered eating
- Feeling of intense guilt or anxiety if the routine is disrupted
- Ignoring professional advice in order to maintain the routine
- Continuing to exercise if you are ill, injured, or sleep-deprived
- The routine is interfering with your other responsibilities or your ability to sustain close, healthy relationships
How do you help a friend?
If you suspect a friend or loved one has a problem with excessive exercising or eating disorders, gently express your support and concern and help them gather information.