Swim for a workout
Swimming is a great workout. It is low impact, serves as both a cardio and strength workout, is great for your lungs, can make you a better runner, works typically underworked muscles, and anyone can do it (if you don't know how to swim - don't worry, we offer lessons!).
If you'd like to learn to swim or if you want to work on perfecting your stroke, swim lessons are for you!
We offer group lessons that meet twice a week for four weeks (a total of eight lessons) for $55.
There are two levels of lesson for adults:
- Beginner Adult: Overcome a fear of water and learn basic skills such as floating, gliding, kicking, rhythmic breathing, and treading water.
- Intermediate Adult: This level is for adults with no fear of water and who possess beginning swimming skills (must be able to kick and breathe using a kickboard for 25 yards without stopping). Students will learn or refine front crawl, back crawl, and develop comfort in deep water.
You can also do private swim lessons as a time convenient for you for a cost of $25 per lesson.
Semi-private lessons are also available for two people. The cost is $20 per person, per lesson.
It's easy to get started – just purchase your lessons online!
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
- Continuous 300-yard swim while showing rhythmic breathing. Only freestyle or breaststroke is permitted.
- Two-minute tread without using your hands.
- Timed Brick Event
- A 10lb rubber brick is placed at the bottom of the pool about 20 yards from the beginning point. The participant must swim to the brick, dive down and get it, come up, and return to the starting point with both hands on the brick. The participant is not allowed to use their hands or touch the bottom with their feet. Once back at the starting point, the participant must stand up, throw the brick out of the water, and then exit the water. The participant has 1 minute and 40 seconds to complete this task.
Fee: VT Affiliate- $175 | Non-VT Affiliate-$200
Dates: February 9-10 / March 16-17 / April 6-7
Lifeguard Re-certification Class
The purpose of a review course is to give individuals the opportunity to review the lifeguard course content within a formal course setting. The lifeguard review course format optimizes a participant’s ability to successfully complete the knowledge and skills evaluations. Participants must provide their current certification. Sign up now.
Fee: VT Affiliate- $100 | Non-VT Affiliate-$125
Dates: February 17 / March 25 / April 22
We offer group, private, and semi-private classes for children and youth from 6 months old to 18 years old. We believe that learning to swim is a great skill to have while also providing fun and exercise. Our experienced instructors provide children with instruction while also making them feel welcomed and helping them become comfortable in water. Check it out!