Exercise & Body Image
What is “body image”?
- Cognizant awareness with your body and of your body as you move
- Perceptions about yourself and your attributes
Body image can be both a motivator and barrier to exercise.
- Participation in exercise can be influenced by perception of body image
- Positive perception of one’s body image increases participation in physical activity
- Stronger commitment to exercise engagement if there’s a positive relationship with your body
- Motivator: appearance, body dissatisfaction, weight management,
- Barrier: feel evaluated for your body, physique anxiety in social situations
How can you use body image image to help your physical health?
- Shift the focus and mindset to feeling proud about exercising as you are being active and committing to healthy behaviors
- Body image can influence the type of exercise you engage in, so it is crucial to find inclusive and supportive environments for exercise so you feel comfortable and have a high level of enjoyment
How can exercising support body positivity?
- Improved body image and self-esteem through greater energy
- otice your body as a whole, specifically thinking about how the body’s different movements work together to provide an overall function
- Increased fitness
- Be proactive and learn a new physical activity type -- there’s a diverse set of activities that encourage movement beyond the gym
- Figure out what you’re capable of with your body through movement and that could shift your mentality away from appearance
- Regular exercise allows you to focus on how you feel and how your muscles are working
- Learn what you’re capable of!
- Heightened body image through awareness of improved strength and endurance allowing you to feel more accomplished and effective!
- Boost confidence through exercise as it helps with body adaptations and learning to do new things
- Respect what your body is capable of doing and appreciate how it helps you move each day!