Recreational Sports is committed to offering health and safety class to students, faculty, staff, and community members throughout the year. We offer lay responder, lifeguarding, and instructor level classes.
Lay Responder Classes
CPR/AED/FA (Adult, Child, Infant)
VT Affiliate- $60 | Non-VT Affiliate-$80
- Saturday, Jan. 26 / 12:30pm-3pm
- Tuesday, Feb. 12 / 5:30pm-8pm
- Saturday, Feb. 23 / 12:30pm-3pm
- Wednesday, Mar. 6 / 7pm-9:30pm
- Saturday, Mar. 30 / 12:30pm-3pm
- Sunday, April 14 / 12:30pm-3pm
Water Safety Instructor Course
VT Affiliate - $225 I
Non-VT Affiliate - $250
- Mon. Jan. 21 - Fri. Jan 25 5:00pm - 9:30pm
VT Affiliate- $175 | Non-VT Affiliate-$200
- Friday, Feb. 1 / 5pm-9:30pm
& Saturday, Feb. 2 / 12pm-8pm
- Friday, March 1 / 5pm-9:30pm
& Saturday, March 2 / 12pm-8pm
- Friday, April 5 / 5pm-9:30pm
& Saturday, April 6 / 12pm-8pm
Lifeguard Re-certification Class
Fee: VT Affiliate- $100 | Non-VT Affiliate-$125
- Saturday, Feb. 9 / 12pm-8pm
- Saturday, March 23 / 12pm-8pm
Please sign up online or in person at 142 McComas Hall with cash, credit cards, or checks 3 business days prior to the class. Please make checks payable to: Treasurer of Virginia Tech
Lifegaurd Class Prerequisites
- Continuous 300-yard swim while showing rhythmic breathing. Only freestyle or breaststroke is permitted.
- Two-minute tread without using your hands.
- Timed Brick Event
- A 10lb rubber brick is placed at the bottom of the pool about 20 yards from the beginning point. The participant must swim to the brick, dive down and get it, come up, and return to the starting point with both hands on the brick. The participant is not allowed to use their hands or touch the bottom with their feet. Once back at the starting point, the participant must stand up, throw the brick out of the water, and then exit the water. The participant has 1 minute and 40 seconds to complete this task.
- Failure to successfully complete the prerequisites prior to the class will result in dismissal of the class with partial reimbursement.
Lifeguard Re-certification Prerequisites
- Participants must provide their current certification
A partial refund will be given if the participant requests one during the registration period. No refunds will be given after the registration period has closed. A $10 fee will be administered for all refunds.
Health and Safety classes with fewer than three participants will be cancelled and participants will recieve a full refund for the class.
Parking on campus
Depending on your affiliation with the university and the time of the day, there may be parking restrictions. Please refer to the Parking and Transportation website for details. All health and safety classes are held in 198 McComas Hall Please know that the McComas parking lot will be closed during home basketball games. Please check the men's and women'sbasketball schedule.
Class Accommodations and Special Needs
If you need special accommodations for your Health and Safety class, please contact the Aquatics Coordinator, Lyncee Kowalcik at firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer private Health and Safety classes for groups of 10 or more. For more information, please contact Lyncee Kowalcik at email@example.com